WD has unveiled its newly redesigned My Book World Edition II dual- drive network storage system in capacities of up to 4 TB.
The company said the double protection of two Mirrored (RAID 1) drives and continuous backup software, makes the storage system extra-safe for users to back up and store the data and digital media.
The new dual-drive system joins the recently introduced My Book World Edition and is compatible with PC and Mac computers.
According to a July 2008 report by research firm Parks Associates, the number of households worldwide with data networks will grow from around 170 million in 2008 to 240 million by year-end 2012.
The firm also reports that the average broadband household will see its digital media storage need grow to nearly 900 GB by year-end 2012.
In addition, consumers indicate that the most important feature for a network-attached storage (NAS) device is the amount of available storage.
With its massive 4 TB capacity, WD is hoping the My Book World Edition II network storage system will serve this rapidly growing need for home data storage.
The new network storage systems are available now in 2 TB and 4 TB capacities, MSRP with 4 TB is GBP £599.99 and 2 TB is GBP £369.99.
The new My Book World Edition II network drive features:
- Automatic, continuous backup for all the computers on your network;
- Dual-drive system that mirrors valuable data for extra safe data
- Centralised storage and sharing for all of your family’s digital
- Streaming to any connected PC, Mac or DLNA certified game console or
- media player;
- Easy remote access to all your data from anywhere, anytime;
- Works seamlessly on networks with both Windows and Mac computers;
- Ability to centralise and stream music collection to a Mac or Windows
- PC using iTunes software;
- USB 2.0 port to turn any USB drive into an instant network drive or
- extra capacity for the My Book World Edition II;
- Cooler, quieter, eco-friendly design with drives using WD GreenPower
- Technology(tm) which run cooler, quieter and consume up to 33 percent less
- User serviceable;
- Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much space is available on your
- High-speed data transfer with Gigabit Ethernet; and,
- 3-year limited warranty.